Online Giving Frequently Asked Questions
What is online giving?
Online giving is a direct payment where your contribution is safely and automatically debited from your checking, savings, or credit card account into the church’s bank account. You can either make a one-time donation or set up a recurring donation online.
Why use online giving?
It’s a personal preference, but here are a few of the benefits:
- It’s a step of faith…deciding in advance to give faithfully
- Peace of mind knowing that the church is receiving your contribution even if you are unable to attend
- It supports regular giving
- Saves time and effort
- You never have to bring cash or checks to church
- You don’t have to worry about forgetting or losing your envelopes
- All contributions are recorded for you on your bank statement
- It helps Good Shepherd save money by reducing time it takes to process weekly collections and allows for better resource management
- It’s easy and costs you nothing!
How do I give online?
Good Shepherd uses Realm for online giving.
Already a Realm member? Click here to access online giving on The City.
How are my contributions automatically deducted from my account?
Once you complete the online giving information, your electronic contribution will be debited on the date you specify.
Is online giving risky?
It’s less risky than writing checks or bringing cash to church. Electronic contributions can’t be lost, stolen, or destroyed and are transmitted through a secure connection.
If I don’t write a check how do I keep my checkbook balance straight?
Since your contribution is made on a pre-established time, you simply record it in your check register on the appropriate date. Electronic contributions are recorded for you on your bank statement as well as online reports on Realm.
Without a canceled check, how can I prove I made my contribution?
Your bank statement gives you an itemized list of electronic transactions and it is recorded on your record of giving by the church.
Can I change the amount I give?
Yes, if you have set up recurring giving, you may log in at any time and change the amount you wish to give.
Can I designate how to divide my contribution for different accounts? (i.e., General Fund, altar flowers, endowment, etc.)
Yes, on the online form, indicate the amount you want to contribute to each fund.
What if I change bank accounts?
Log in and update your account information
What if I try online giving and don’t like it?
You can cancel your authorization by logging in and deleting your transaction.