Good Shepherd is committed to growing a Christ-centered community for youth in North Raleigh. We acknowledge the present ministry of youth and support them as active members of the church. Now is a great time to become involved as we re-vision our ministry to and with youth.
During the traditional school year, Sunday Morning Education (SME) hour occurs 9:30 - 10:30 am.
Middle School Ministry (6th - 8th Grade) - Fellowship Hall
Each week, students gather together to explore catechetical (fancy word for “what we believe”) principals through engaging teaching and response time in small groups. Small groups consist of 4-7 students in the same grade as well as a high school and adult leader. Friends and guests are welcome to join in the large group as well as the small group of their respective grade. For students seeking their Rite of Confirmation, participation over the three years of middle school is the main commitment.
High School Students
High school students are a vital part of the Sunday morning experience both in worship and the education hour. New, substantial leadership roles exist for students to serve in Sunday school with our Children’s Ministry and Middle School Ministry. Additionally, if high school students would like to take part in an “adult” SME class, their presence and participation are welcome. There is no designated high school programming during the Sunday Morning Education hour.
9th – 12th grade students gather throughout the school year roughly two Sunday evenings a month, 6:30 – 8:00 in Fellowship Hall. We gather, share a meal together, break out into candle groups, then gather back together for dessert. The dates for the 2019-2020 program year are:
• September 22
• October 6 & 20
• November 3 & 17
• Dec 1 (The 15th will be an off-site Christmas caroling event)
• January 12 & 26
• February 9 (No Youth Group on the 23rd, we’ll be returning from LYO Assembly)
• March 1, 15, & 29
• April 19
Music is an important part of both worship and faith formation, as it can deeply connect us to God and each other. Our middle and high school choirs rehearse weekly, sing regularly in worship and even serve together. If you share the love of music, we invite you to join us!
HeartSong (for middle school and high school) rehearse together on Wednesdays, 6:00-7:00 pm
Greater Church Involvement
When we step beyond the walls of our congregation and witness the scope of the global church, we experience the Body of Christ that’s bigger, deeper, and more diverse than we could ever imagine.
• Middle School Mission Week: Every summer, our middle school students team up with the youth of Christ the King Lutheran Church (CTKC) in Cary to serve our community together in a multi-day, overnight servant experience.
• Teens Encounter Christ: Held at Camp Agape every Labor Day and Martin Luther King Jr Day weekend, sophomores – college freshmen from all over eastern North Carolina dive deep into what it means to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
• Lutheran Youth Organization (LYO): Every February, 9th – 12th grade Lutheran students from all over North Carolina gather in Greensboro for a weekend of large group gatherings, small group discussions, and congregational bonding.
• ELCA Youth Gathering: Every three years, 30,000 Lutheran youth and adults gather in a large U.S. city to serve, worship, and learn about our call as Christians. In 2021, we will be heading to Minneapolis, MN!
Scouts BSA (formerly Boy Scouts of America)
For over 25 years, Good Shepherd has been a Chartered Organization for Scouts BSA (Boy Scouts of America), with a mission to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law. Boys and girls from Kindergarten through age 18 have the opportunity to participate in the trail to Eagle Scout in one of Good Shepherd’s Scouts BSA programs. Learn more here about the Pack and Troops, or from Scouts BSA main website; or if you have specific questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Good Shepherd has hosted multiple Girl Scout Troops over the years. Currently, there are three troops who meet at Good Shepherd: Cadettes (middle school), Seniors and Ambassadors (high school). The troops enjoy camping, hiking, engineering, ziplines and other adventures. The girls volunteer in various ways, including serving at the Memory Cafe, donating toothbrushes to Mnene Parish, and participating in Yam Jam and food drives. Learn more here.
Want more information about Youth Ministry at Good Shepherd?